Weekly Challenge for July 1st
It’s July! Obviously, last week there was no challenge. I had just returned from Tribal Revolution, and had some other things to deal with, so I didn’t have a chance to get anything down. I hope you had fun with creating your dance character! That challenge was on my mind a lot, because at Tribal Revolution, I took a fantastic workshop with Mira Betz that was all about expressing emotion through our bodies! Perfect timing!
So what’s up with this week’s challenge? Well, after all that drama, let’s shake things up a bit and loosen up!
It’s time for a shimmy drill. This is a true challenge–how long can you keep your shimmy going without losing the timing?
Pick a song (or three or four!), pick a shimmy, and get to it!
- Make sure your shimmy stays even on both hips/legs, no matter what shimmy you have chosen.
- It doesn’t matter what shimmy you practice, but try to pick one you aren’t so good at in order to improve it.
- Maintain posture, even after you get tired. If you only shimmy through one song, spot check your posture every 16 counts or so, or if you use multiple songs, do a posture check in between each.
- Arms – no chicken arms, T-rex arms, whatever you want to call them. If you want more of a challenge, layer arm patterns over your shimmy.
- Only go as fast as you can maintain the beat. Marry your hips to the count!! If the beat changes, change with it!
Lastly, remember to have fun, and give your quads and glutes a good stretch afterwards!